When mentioning “trimming your wicks” to customers, most of the time we get a confused look in return. Trimming your wicks is one of the keys to perfectly melting your candle. But wait! That’s not the only tactic to extend the melt time, aroma, and look of the candle.
To keep you guys “in the know” we went ahead and put together 5 ways to get the most from your Ranger Station candle.
- Before your first burn, be sure to give yourself 3-4 hours for the candle to burn while attended. We know that the hardest part is wanting to immediately light the candle upon purchase, but this step is the most important! It’s supposed to be a relaxing experience, so we suggest doing this in the evening when you're lounging or watching the game.
- We only pour soy wax and soy is a living organism. Therefore it continues to expand, contract and change from its current form. It may also look frosted. These ‘flaws’ are normal and it is a clear indication that you have purchased a 100% all natural soy candle.
- Keep your wick trimmed to 1/4”. Occasionally, mushrooming of the wicks may occur when you blow out after a use. This is okay and simply means that there is a build up of carbon. After the candle is extinguished, allow wick to harden and carefully trim to 1/4”. Do not allow wick trimming to fall into wax, as this can create a fire hazard. Need a wick trimmer? Head over to our store and grab an official Ranger Station Trimmer.
- When lighting our soy candles for the first time and each time after, allow the wax to melt all the way out to the diameter of the bourbon glass. Once you get there allow it to melt ¼” deep. This is what we call a “Melt Pool”. A Melt Pool is where most all of our fragrant aroma is released. If you avoid this step, you’re candle may never see its full potential.
- Discard your candle once the remaining wax reaches 1/2” deep. At this point you are clear to use you glass for your drink of choice! We recommend some good ole Bourbon, but anything will do!
Now that you've been educated in candle maintenance. You are officially a Ranger Station candle pro.
- If your candle is extinguished prior to allowing a full melt pool, all future melt pools will not go past the first one.
- Keep the wick trimmed to approximately 1/4”.
- Do not burn more than 4 hours.
- Discontinue when 1/2” wax remains. Then pour your favorite mixed spirit, and keep enjoying Ranger Station.